Thursday, May 24, 2007

Bummer, dude and dudettes! Big time bummer! For the first time in the 10 months, 2 weeks and 4 days since we've made the Holy Land our home, I have met disappointment. It only lasted about 10 seconds before I acknowledged the fact that in the scheme of things, it was so low on the totem pole of meaning as to be, well, meaningless.

It seems that the word "Slurpee" in the land of Israel, like so, so many other things, is relative. Whereas in chutz l'aretz (outside of the land), it's that wonderful thirst-quenching brew with exactly (if one happens to be lucky) the right concoction of coke and ice blended together. Here, I found out today by making my way by bus to the Takana Merkazit (after trudging through Emek Refaim in the heat to buy freshly-ground coffee for my hubby), the term "Slurpee" means the same fruit flavored slushy that every other store and kiosk sells.

Heaven forbid, I don't want to discourage anyone from making aliyah, but I think it's important that one should be aware of this sad truth ahead of time. As I said, it's totally meaningless in the scheme of things. It was just that hopeful expectation that got squashed in the space of a second... May this be now and forever the worst disappointment I'll experience here!

1 comment:

Rivki said...

Sorry for your disappointment! I'm glad that you seem to be handling it well. :-)